Quick answer: NEVER.
Working in social media has taught me a lot in the last few years – the most recent lesson I’ve learned is to not neglect your personal brand. When I began to work at Visit El Paso, I decided to put all of that on the back burner – after all, my personal social media wasn’t paying the bills.
I’ve realized now that it was a grave mistake to make. Although most people know that I do something in social media, no one knew that ‘Crysti Couture’ was the person on the other side of the keyboard.
As a result, I’ve completely rebooted my own social media persona:
- Deleted all 65,000 of my “personal” Tweets – started a clean slate with a more “professional” vibe. If you’re into social media talk & El Paso awesomeness, follow me there!
- Deleted my personal Foursquare & Instagram – follow me here & here instead.
- Deleted Stumbleupon, Last.fm, TV Tag accounts – I never ever use them.
- I password protected blog posts on this blog that get a little too personal.
This might seem like a lot of work – and it is. Over the next few weeks, it’s still a work in progress. The important thing to remember is that this world is full of millions of people competing for the same things that you want in life. Any future potential employers will search for you online to determine your relevancy.
Social media can also be the vehicle to your demise. Here are just some examples on how social media or online searches can ruin a reputation beyond repair:
- L’Oréal Terminates Contract with Belgian Supporter after Hunting Photos Emerge
- Officer, You Can’t Have Women in Bikinis All Over Your Car
- Craziest Revelations from Hot Car Death Father’s Court Hearing
- Your Personal Profiles Could Leak Onto Your Professional Ones: Chrysler throws down an F-bomb on Twitter
What story will your online persona tell about you?
It’s also important to remember the keyword: persona “the aspect of someone’s character that is presented to or perceived by others.”
How do you find a balance to create a more relevant persona? Listen to this amazing podcast episode from SocialZoom for the lowdown.
Still looking for more info on building your personal brand? Here are some incredibly useful links to check out: